Statistics reveal that users dedicate 57% of their digital media usage to nothing else but smartphone apps. So, the metrics well enough pronounce the vast opportunities that the app developers, publishers and advertisers have in their hands to monetize their apps, be it android or ios.
Are you looking for a monetization plan to give you a good jumping-off point in revenues? Come, dive in!
There are plenty of ways to earn long term revenues by effectively monetizing your apps. But you may have questions in your mind like “how do I monetize my android app and ios app” or “do I monetize android app or try iOS monetization”.
As an app developer, it might be difficult for you to decide whether you should monetize Android apps or go for ios monetization. This becomes a vital decision because this choice could directly affect the potential of your app monetization.
Heading towards app development? You need to know these critical differences between iOS and Android.
1) What do the ‘Market Insights and statistics’ say on iOS apps vs Android apps monetization: ?
- Google Play revenue continues to increase at a greater level than iOS App Store revenue: 19.6% to 13.2%
- iOS App Store 2018 revenue came to $46.6 billion, while Google Play revenue stood at $24.8 billion by this measure. (source: business of apps)
- As of the first quarter of 2019, app users chose to download between 2.6 million Android, and 2.2 million iOS apps.
- Considering the case to monetize Android apps, the statistics reveal that this will bring in for you, a higher user base for app monetization.
- Higher engagement rates among apps bring in higher chances of interacting with ads and revenue maximization.
- The mobile commerce industry leads on iOS with approximately 23% engagement vs Android’s involvement is only 17%. Now, you have to decide for yourself whether you go for which hack and customer segment.
- iOS has a particular set of qualitative customers.On the other hand, Android has witnessed the mushrooming of consumers and has a more extensive consumer base, so if you are likely to go for the quantity chasing, to monetize android apps is your way out.
- iPhone users are reportedly younger at age and well-to-do than Android users.
Keep these facts in mind to get to the nerves of your target audience and understand whether monetizing android apps or ios is your thing.
2) How ‘size of Ad SDK’ guides iOS Monetization vs Android Monetization?
- Firstly, it is essential to note that generally, apps use multiple Ad SDKs, with an average of 2.7 MB per app. This amount is slightly different for platforms.
- So iOS apps use 1.9 MB Ad SDKs, while Android apps tend to utilize 2.9 MB Ad SDKs. (source: soomla)
- Developers tend to avoid increasing the app size, which could disturb the overall performance. The benefit of a small Size SDK from IOS doesn’t affect your performance and gives you scope to advertise on App without affecting the user experience.
So, the size of Advertisement Software Development Kits (Ad SDKs) that are used to connect apps with an ad network is another vital feature that differs from the iOS and Android platform.
3) How ‘Share of Revenue earned’ is different when you Monetize Android apps vs iPhone apps?
- Android accounts for around two-thirds of mobile Operating System market share because of its broad price range and lower entry-level price point.
- However, when we talk about the user activity, an average iOS user is more active than an average Android user.
- So, iOS monetization continues to dominate the share of app monetization revenues while still backed by Androids giving them a competitive fight.
4) Talking about ‘Ads in Non-Gaming apps’ for iOS app monetization vs Android app monetization
- Ads since forever, are the go-to model to monetize android apps as well as ios.
- The approach to ad monetization differs between the iOS and Android platforms.
- Non-gaming Android apps are forcefully incorporated with the advertisements than their iOS counterparts, with 63% of Android non-gaming apps using ads compared to only 25% of iOS non-gaming apps.
5) How ‘paid app monetization’ accompanies iOS monetization vs Android monetization?
- One of the main differences between Android app monetization and iOS app monetization is in terms of paid apps.
- Specifically, studies show that the Paid apps strategy is implemented by only a lesser percentage of Android apps, while iOS apps practice more of paid app monetization and lead the game.
6) What’s the role of ‘In-app purchases’ in iOS vs Android?
- It is no wonder that iOS apps generate more income as iPhone users spend more online than Android users.
- It is found that Android users tend to practice more in-app purchases and are in the lead against iOS when it comes to In-app purchases.
So, make a note of this if you plan to monetize Android apps as an avenue of app monetization.
7) Making more money: monetizing apps iPhone vs Androids
- iOS App Store 2018 revenue came to $46.6 billion, while Google Play revenue stood at $24.8 billion by this measure. (source: business of apps).
- This shows that iOS is dominating the money market as iOS users tend to be more active in purchasing apps compared to Android users.
- iOS spends nearly twice as much as Android users when it comes to in-app and freemium offerings.
8) What is the ‘app Openness’ when monetizing android apps vs ios apps?
- Android is open-source software. Google permits devices to use its mobile operating system free from licensing fees.
- Device manufacturers are open to making changes to the default operating iOS isn’t an open-source like the Androids.
- Make sure you use this pointer while devising strategies to monetize android apps or iOS apps.
9) What about Hacking and fraud trends in iOS vs Android monetization?
- 22.1% of iOS’s mobile ad traffic is fraudulent while Android has 27.3% of its mobile ad traffic frauds.
- Apple Store significantly rules this concern against Google Play. (source: app samurai)
So hacking is a primary concern when monetization of both platforms are concerned and you need to be extra careful on this factor when you monetize android vs ios apps.
10) How ios and Android differs considering ‘Push notifications’?
App push notifications are far higher on Android (91.1%) than iOS devices (43.9%) which is explained by the fact that iOS users must actively consent to push notifications, whereas Android automatically enables push notifications.
11) What is the ‘post-install activity’ when monetizing apps iPhone vs Android apps
- iOS and Android users differ significantly in their behaviour after app installation.
- iOS performs better than Android.
- As far as events like creating accounts or user profiles in an app are concerned, Android has a minor edge over iOS.
What are the top challenges faced in iOS and Android monetization?
- With the rise in ad-blocking software, advertising companies face millions and billions of costs. This forces marketers to revise their monetization techniques. Also, they need to shift their approach and increase the chaos faced by them in choosing to monetize android app vs ios monetization.
- App engagement is declining due to excessive advertisements. A big challenge faced by developers today is that users get irritated at seeing too many ads, and this decreases their engagement towards an app. As a result, they finally delete it.
- Bringing a deleted app back from trash is something you can hardly hope for. So a major step when you ought to think whether to monetize android apps or ios is working on the app engagement.
- Another big challenge faced is that the payouts are delayed and confusing. The whole purpose of putting monetization into use is to make money. This needs to take place with stability too.
- And if you aren’t making money quickly or as prospected, the entire structure of your monetization is a defeat. So, you need to look for a consistent payment that fits your goals and helps you monetize data (android apps or ios) to earn unlimited revenue.
- Integration of multiple SDKs is time-taking and irritating. A software development kit (SDK) is integrated into the apps before the mobile ad networks would serve ads. The process of adding and removing SDKs becomes a lot of unnecessary work put up.
- To have an effective monetization, you need a proper ad mediation platform. An ad mediation technology is one that cuts down on the excessive work of managing several SDKs. This challenge often comes up when deciding to monetize android apps and ios apps.
- Mobile advertising is facing monopolies. While there’s a bunch of mobile companies you can choose to pair up with, you should go for one partner. Trends suggest that this ensures ease in both ways of monetization.
- These are the major challenges you face when you are planning to monetize android apps and ios apps. Working on these are making them your strengths is all that shall help you to move further.
Still thinking whether to monetize android or ios? Keep a note of these
- The most important thing you need to have is to have a clear goal in sight. So how do you visualize your user?
- Besides, what is the size of your target audience? What is the frequency of your customer engagement? What are the possibilities, and so on?
- So, should you monetize android apps or go for ios app monetization? Both platforms have their specific pros and cons.
- When you consider the size and growth rate of both iOS and Android platform’s stores, launching your app on both platforms is perhaps the ideal solution. You can afford to test for both and see which way works best for you.
- Moreover, it is not just that you should opt to monetize Android apps or ios app monetization. But, it is more practical to practise both forms of monetization from the start, instead of starting with one and developing the other later.
Do you want to monetize android and ios apps like a pro?
Explore our highly feasible & customized solutions to monetize every action of your audiences today