We know that owning and running your own website is super exciting! But often it becomes a concern in trying to figure out whether your website is going to be profitable for you or not!
Like a lot of website owners, are you also worried, whether to monetize your website with ads or try other strategies?
Relax! We had been there as well.
With your great ideas, endless possibilities and wanting to earn from your website, you might still be thinking, how am I gonna do it?
But your excitement and confusion is likely going to bring you to a few thought-provoking questions like:
“How I can monetize my website and make money online?”
“How long will it take me to monetize my website?”
“Should I monetize my website with one specific website monetization strategy or a combination of website monetization strategies?” and so on.
However in the beginning, it can be difficult in figuring out the best way how to earn money from a website. But once you are confident on how to monetize your website, revenues can be made easily.
Follow these 21 best-proven website monetization strategies to reap great benefits for your website.
- Data monetization
- Sell Your Own Digital Product
- Flip Your Websites
- Google Adsense
- Add an e-com microsite
- Generate leads for other companies
- Accept sponsored content
- Sell Ad Space
- Affiliate marketing
- Leverage your ‘Email List’
- Accept Donations
- Set up RSS feed ads
- ‘Pop-up advertisements’ or ‘pop-under ads’
- Sell ‘premium content’
- Customized commerce content
- Monetized widgets
- Create a job board
- Host paid Webinars
- Build a ‘Membership website’
- Enable ‘Content lockers’
- ‘Paid directory or a Business page’
1) Monetize your website audiences through data monetization.
Data monetization pertains to the act of generating revenues from available data sources. You can organize audience data from various media properties and create targeted niche segments.
So it increases the value of data making it more sellable and it can be bought by partner companies at higher prices thus providing great revenues.
For instance, AudiencePlay is one such solution that can help you monetize your audience data.
Why should you monetize your website with data monetization strategy?
- Firstly, the Global Data Monetization Market was recorded at approx. $ 44,869 million in 2017 and is projected to be at $370,969 million by 2023.
- Secondly this shows that, it is remarkably growing at a CAGR of 35.4% from a period of 2017 to 2023. (Source: Allied Market Research)
- Finally ad revenues are no longer limited to your website inventory but wherever your users are across the online ecosystem. Hence data monetization is one of the most preferred website monetization strategies.
2) ‘Selling Your Own Digital Product.’
If you are not convinced with putting ads on your website and want something more of your own, how about earning money through your website, by creating and selling digital products?
Try this with Sellwire .
Why Website monetization through ‘Selling Your Own Digital Product?’
- It is easier to manage, sell, and deliver products directly to your website visitors.
- Once visitors are into your sales funnel, you can cross sell, upsell many other digital products that interest your users.
3) Website Monetization by ‘Flipping Your Websites’.
Suppose you have a website with a fair amount of consistent website traffic, then you can sell this website to someone else and now make an earning.
Build or buy a niche website and let it grow until it turns a sizable profit or potentially profitable.
Why is Flipping a helpful way to monetize websites?
- Flipping provides you with great learning of the ‘ ins and outs’ of investor requirements.
- Helps you to learn details about the business and earn money and you see an exponential ROI.
4) Effortless Website Monetization through ‘Google Adsense’
All you have to do is- Create an Adsense account. Wait until it’s approved by Google.
Once approved, Google gives you a small piece of code to be pasted onto your website pages.
This code identifies the content of your site and Google AdSense will start showing ads that may be relevant to the users coming on to your website. Whenever a visitor clicks or views the ad shown, Google pays you every month.
Why is Google AdSense a great strategy to monetize websites?
- It does not require major technical know-how so anyone can virtually set up and use a Google Adsense account.
- Google Adsense provides for customizable ads and makes the feel and design easy for even the amateurs.
5) Add an e-com microsite:
Websites aren’t just about content, but they also deal with tools, products in online stores. With this strategy of website monetization, you can upsell or cross sell several goods or services to your users by adding an e-com microsite in your existing website.
One such tool that can help create an ecommerce micro site is Shopify.
Why set up a micro e-commerce site?
- People are constantly looking to buy things online so you can provide services 24*7/365.
- Your website is easily accessible anywhere & you can sell your products globally operating from one place.
6) Monetizing websites by generating leads for other companies
How to monetize a website using leads? Suppose you have a website about teaching art skills. Your reader’s data is valuable to online schools looking to sell their art courses.
So, this way you are connecting the dots by introducing two parties who can benefit one another. One such tool where you can find these offers is PeerFly.
While this is similar to affiliate marketing, this technique only focuses on generating leads to other advertisers.
How ‘generating leads for others’ help?
- Lead generation collects important information about prospects that you can target ahead.
- It contributes to a positive ROI in the long term since you will know more about your visitors, and hence targeted campaigns.
7) Monetizing Website through ‘Accepting sponsored content’.
You can monetize your website by writing sponsored content or by reviewing products, services or news from a company.
Why ‘Accepting sponsored content’ is a profitable scenario?
- You get paid for every single sponsored content posted on your Website irrespective of traffic.
- By accepting sponsored content, you can build direct relationships with advertisers and have multiple income streams coming in.
8) Expanded market through ‘Sell Ad Space’
Apart from showing up ads with Google AdSense on your website, you can sell your own ad space directly to companies that are looking to sponsor different blogs. So, you can sell ad space directly on your website.
You charge a price and get paid upfront at the beginning of every month, and this is how you monetize your website.
Try platforms like BuySellAds.
Why ‘Selling Ad Space’?
- When you sell Ad space on your site, you are reducing your dependency on adsense
- Selling Ad space will help you to deal directly with advertisers, thus bringing new revenues to monetization.
9) Monetize website using Affiliate marketing:
You can start promoting a product/service to the visitors of your website by placing banners and writing articles
If the product/service resonates with your users, they will click and purchase the product. Consequently, you get a revenue share of the product or service.
Why to monetize websites using ‘Affiliate Marketing’?
- It is cost-effective and requires no expertise.
- Affiliate marketing is a lucrative source of income as provides you multiple offers by partnering with trusted sites and blogs.
Commission Junction is a platform that helps you to monetize websites using affiliates.
10) Use your ‘Email List’ for Website Monetization.
Think for a while, how many people do you know without an email address? Of course, this is such a small number especially after the mobile revolution.
So, now this presents a great opportunity for businesses to improve their revenue by sending commercial messages to the users in their email lists.
Why is ‘Email Lists’ one of the topmost website monetization strategies?
- You can easily personalize content for better response rates in email marketing.
- Email marketing helps in reaching more mobile customers . As per Statista, the number of worldwide mobile phone users surpassed five billion this year 2019. Nearly two-thirds of emails are read on mobile devices, so email marketing proves to be an effective tactic for helping businesses earn revenues accordingly.
You can use various tools like Mailchimp, GetResponse, AWeber, etc.
11) Monetize your website by ‘Accepting Donations’.
If you have a substantial amount of visits and engaged community, this strategy of Website Monetization is undoubtedly for you.
Platforms like Internet Archive can help you.
Why should a Donation platform be your Website Monetization strategy?
- You can set up recurring payments conveniently and get access to donors worldwide.
- It is a great way to earn money by encashing your following.
12) Monetize your website by setting up RSS feed ads.
You can monetize your website by setting up RSS feeds to give real-time ads for online products as per your niche.
A service called Quuu curates tailor made content and pushes it to various twitter handles who subscribe to their feed. This is a variation to RSS feed.
Benefits of monetizing your website through RSS feed:
- By submitting your RSS feed, you send your headlines to a broader audience.
- You get to promote your content on other websites and have a regular engagement of loyal visitors who follow your author’s or your brand.
13) ‘Pop-up advertisements’ or ‘pop-under ads’.
PopAds is one of the best AdSense alternatives that earns money through impressions. This implies that every time an ad is loaded, regardless of whether it is a popup or popunder, an impression is generated and recorded. A CPM model will be applied, where these networks will charge a small fee per thousand impressions.
With pop-ads, you can advertise, attract web traffic and capture email ids. Try poptin to convert your website into more revenues.
Note: Please note that google considers pop ups and pop under ads as intrusive and thus technique should be used tactically without damaging user experience.
Why is ‘pop-up ads’a charmer among website monetization strategies?
- The versatility of pop-ups is a hit for you and they help to convert colossal traffic.
- It strengthens the ad visibility to your website visitors and it’s a definite win for the brands.
14) Selling ‘premium content.’
For instance, your website produces mind-blowing content.What you can do is: You can always try asking them to pay for some of it. However, do not ask people to pay right away.
Instead, focus on growing an audience and visitors first by providing some free enticing content in solving your dilemma of how to monetize your blog.
How do premium contents help?
- The premium model of Website Monetization strategies has proven one of the most successful ones over the years.
- By creating an information-rich compelling content, you can compel visitors to pay.
15) Customized commerce content using services like ‘Infolinks, skimlinks, viglinks etc’.
Unlike affiliate marketing, this strategy is different. If done right, users will not see “ads” and go with the natural flow of reading your content while you make money.
It provides you with many options, but focusing on namely Intext Ads will give a natural flow to your websites content. When a visitor clicks on the links powered by these services, you earn with those views and clicks.
Couple of other services other than infolinks are, skimlinks, viglinks etc.
In the above example, when you click on the link “bhphotovideo.com”, it redirects through vigilinks (a form of Infolink).
So, why are Infolinks helpful website monetization strategies ?
- Because Infolinks is compatible with other forms of Advertising and Ad Networks, it can be easily installed to the body of your website.
- Infolinks is an easy application that allows fast approval. So, you can enjoy a customized experience with ads of your choice.
16) Earn a steady income with ‘Monetized widgets.’
Monetized widgets are the widgets that you can place on your website for website monetization. These will dynamically pull in ads that you can receive affiliate income for or you can be paid on a click or impression basis or sometimes on revenue share depending upon the advertiser.
Amazon Associates program is an example of this.
So, why Monetized Widgets rank well among website monetization strategies?
- Setting up monetized widgets doesn’t take long. Also having huge levels of traffic is not needed here, to earn revenue.
- You can make steady income with the likes of the Amazon Affiliate widgets,if the products advertised by you are relevant to the content within your articles.
17) Generate easy revenues by ‘Creating a job board’.
How do job boards help? Firstly, employers can log into your website job board and post a job on the page. Secondly, they can then enter the company details, job description etc. Finally they can publish their jobs on your job boards and ultimately you monetize website with ads of their jobs.
Better Team is one such solution to do, that helps various job boards owners make money.
Why should you try ‘Job board’ for website monetization?
- Firstly , you can engage your audience with great content and add another striking feature like a job board. This brings them more reasons to come back to your website.
- Secondly with a job board software that is web-based, you are relieved from much of the daily operational stress putting it up on someone else’s shoulders.
18) ‘Host paid Webinars’ for Website Monetization.
A webinar is a form of online education that is very useful and highly detailed in nature.
Its purpose is to pass skills or knowledge to those interested in learning. With ClickMeeting, you can monetize likewise.
Why Paid Webinars?
- In webinars, visitors are interested in taking knowledge and learning from your website. They are thus always involved and engaged with you. So, you can make money in a feasible manner.
- Webinars are a great way to interact, so you can promote your products vividly and get valuable customers and in turn make them loyal following upselling and cross selling content.
19) Build a loyal ‘Membership website’ to monetize your website.
A membership site is a great way to monetize your website where only subscribed members can access your content.
MemberPress is a great way to build your Membership Site for optimizing your business.
So, here are the benefits of the Membership strategy to your Website:
- Enhanced reputation with website members brings credibility to your site.
- Your website will get a regular income with membership engagement.
20) By enabling ‘Content lockers.’
You can block access to a specific piece of content until the visitor completes a specified action.
Restrict Content Pro enables you to lock an entire page or just the particular content and gives its access to your valued members.
Content Lockers as website monetization strategies:
- Meanwhile, if your content is impressive, you can generate real revenue from locking your content.
- In addition, you can grow your email list by visitor email ids inputted to get access to a post and boost your likes and shares on social media.
21) Practice a ‘Paid directory or a Business page’.
It is a feasible way to get revenue for your website, and also store information about sites and categorize them by category.
You can use Directory Maximizer for this.
Why Paid directory to monetize websites?
- Firstly, you get a lot of exposure and SEO benefits which helps you in increasing your revenue stream.
- In addition, encourage customers to keep coming back with advertisements and regular updates like Special event, promotion news and Membership plans to keep earning.
So, what is the ‘one best way for Website Monetization? ’
Meanwhile there is no ‘one best way’ to monetize a Website or blog, there are various ways to monetize your app and several website monetization strategies.
Because different audiences react to different approaches differently, you may try any one or a combination of a few monetization methods according to the requirement of your Website.
In addition, your primary focus as a site owner.
As a result, ‘What turns out to be most profitable for you is the obvious strategy for you’.
So, what was your experience of using these website monetization strategies to monetize your website?
Tell me in the comments.